By Paul D. Shinkman
February 14, 2014
The Iranian navy capped off a week at saber-rattling against the West with an announcement that two ships deployed for international waters off the coast of the U.S. are just the beginning.
Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari, the Iranian navy commander, told a group of cadets Thursday their home country is currently in the process of building torpedo-launcher missiles, destroyers and submarines. State news service Fars reported the new weaponry will be used to maintain security in regional and international waters.
“Iranian officials have always stressed that the country’s military and arms programs serve defensive purposes and should not be perceived as a threat to any other country,” stated Fars.
Yet the announcement follows some pretty strong language from Sayyari earlier this week, and news that Iran planned to steam two warships around the South African coast, into the Atlantic Ocean and toward the U.S.
“Iran’s military fleet is approaching the United States’ maritime borders, and this move has a message,” he said Tuesday, adding the deployment is in response to U.S. Naval forces’ continued presence in the Persian Gulf. “Like the arrogant powers that are present near our maritime borders, we will also have a powerful presence close to the American marine borders.”
To read the full piece, click here.