Biological and Chemical Weapons
Scientists Working Group on Biological and Chemical Security
The Scientists Working Group on Biological and Chemical Weapons Control, founded in 1989 at the Federation of American Scientists, moved in November 2003 to the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation to join the Center’s new program on biological and chemical weapons control. At present, the defining goals of the Working Group are reinforcing the norm against biological weapons, broadening the norm to encompass all misuse of biology, and supporting all of components of the Biological and Chemical Weapons Conventions. Major interests include preventing the development of biochemical disabling agents as weapons, promoting international measures to monitor biological weapons-capable activities, promoting global cooperative measures for combating infectious diseases, ethical education of bioscientists, monitoring US biodefense and anti-bioterrorism activities and opposing risky or dangerous biological research.
The Working Group develops working papers and reports on technical and policy issues, publishes papers in peer-reviewed journals, and holds seminars and briefings for U.S. and international officials. Working Group members have extensive experience with biological and chemical weapons issues and have an array of technical expertise that they contribute on a voluntary basis.
The Working Group can be reached by contacting Dr. Lynn Klotz at email@example.com.
RECENT ANALYSIS ON BIOLOGICAL AND CHEMICAL WEAPONS
- Op-ed: North Korea’s other weapons of mass destruction August 1, 2018
- Fact Sheet: Chemical Weapons July 24, 2018
- Fact Sheet: Biological Weapons July 17, 2018
- We are Still Waiting for Real Action on Chemical Weapon Attacks July 10, 2018
- Russia Calls Accusations That It Was Behind Spy Poisoning a “Fake Story” April 11, 2018
- Why the Russian Chemical Weapon Used to Poison an Ex-Spy Isn’t Banned March 23, 2018
- It’s Time to Take a Serious Look at Chemical Weapon Attacks March 15, 2018
- Cooperative Threat Reduction or: How I Stopped Worrying and Got Rid of the Bomb September 15, 2017
- Nukes of Hazard Podcast August 11, 2017
- Center Senior Fellow Lynn Klotz Quoted in OZY Magazine May 15, 2017