Since 2013, nations of the P5+1 (the United States, France, the United Kingdom, China, Russia, plus Germany) have engaged in diplomatic negotiations with Iran in order to satisfy the international community’s concerns over Iran’s nuclear program.
On July 14, 2015, after two years of negotiations, the P5+1 announced the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. Under the agreement, Iran will significantly reduce its nuclear program and accept strict monitoring and verification safeguards to ensure its program is for solely peaceful purposes. In exchange, Iran will receive economic sanctions relief from nuclear-related sanctions, but only after the International Atomic Energy Association (IAEA) verifies that Iran has completed its initial requirements under the agreement.
As described in the 2015 Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act, Congress completed its 60-day review period of the agreement.
The Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation works within a broad coalition of organizations to support this diplomatic non-proliferation effort and ensure that the JCPOA is being implemented and complied with by all parties.
RECENT ANALYSIS ON IRAN DIPLOMACY
- Pompeo’s Iran demands: A ‘bold’ vision or an ‘unrealistic’ wish list? May 22, 2018
- Trump Pulls US Out of Iran Deal in Break With European Allies May 8, 2018
- BREAKING: Trump violates Iran nuclear deal May 8, 2018
- Trump pulls US out of Iran nuclear deal: The agreement was “defective at its core” May 8, 2018
- Es probable que Trump no exima a Irán de las sanciones nucleares: Alexandra Bell May 8, 2018
- NUCLEAR EXPERTS: TRUMP’S IRAN DEAL DECISION BASED ON FALSE CLAIMS AND THREATENS GLOBAL NUCLEAR ORDER May 8, 2018
- Iran nuclear deal: What happens if Donald Trump pulls the US out of accord? May 8, 2018
- Trump’s claim that Iran could build nuclear weapons in seven years May 8, 2018
- Netanyahu says Iran ‘lied’ about nukes: Will new intel convince Trump to kill Iran deal? May 1, 2018
- Netanyahu’s theatrics help push Trump towards Iran deal withdrawal May 1, 2018